WILLIAMSTOWN -- There’s more to the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute than its magnificent paintings! Celebrate the remarkable diversity and beauty of decorative arts in the collection - from elaborate works of silver and elegant furniture to charming teacups and colorful glass objects - at a free Decorative Arts Family Day on Sunday, March 24, from noon to 4 p.m.
The day’s program offers plenty of fun for parents and children alike. Music, demonstrations, and art projects are just some of the activities that will highlight the decorative arts in the Clark’s collection. Participants will learn about some of the Clark’s treasures of silver, porcelain, glass, and wood. Among the planned events:
* Demonstrations by master silversmith Stephen P. Smithers, master carpenter Hugh Glover, bookmaker Amanda Malkin, potter Tim Duncan, glass artist Atticus Robbins, and Japanese lacquer artist Christine Puza.
* A sing-along with popular local band The Wandering Rocks.
* Art projects for all ages, including designing a three-dimensional clay tile and stenciling a mirror.
* A workshop on making decorative foods.
* A gallery talk by Curatorial Assistant Alexis Goodin, who will offer
* Shopping for unique handmade items from the artisans above and a special trunk show offering from Spoon River Jewelry .
This program is supported by funding from the officers and employees of Allen & Company, Inc. The Clark is located at 225 South St. For more info: clarkart.edu, 413-458-2303.
Decorative Arts Family Day at the Clark
Schedule of Events
12-4 p.m. Demonstrations
Silversmithing with Stephen P. Smithers
Pottery wheel with Tim Duncan
Wood carving with Hugh Glover
Glass blowing with Atticus Robbins
Fancy bookbinding with Amanda Malkin
Japanese lacquer with Christine Puza
12-4 p.m. Art making and activities Color and patterns on mirrors Three-dimensional tiles
Quiet games and puzzles
12:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 p.m. Gallery talks
‘What’s That?’ -- a family friendly gallery talk on the decorative arts with Curatorial Research Assistant Alexis Goodin. Pick up a ticket at the welcome desk. (40 min.)
12:30, 2, and 3:30 p.m. Workshops
‘The Art of Eating: Decorative Food Workshop’ with chef Steve Wilkinson. Pick up a ticket at the welcome desk. (40 min.)
1, 2, and 3 p.m. Music
The Wandering Rocks Sing-Along (40 min.)